Sunday, October 2, 2022

Uphill Both Ways

I decided that today was going to be an adventure day in the hopes that by Tuesday I can repeat without feeling dead and able to go farther on the trail.

Since it has been raining I decided to go on the well-maintained trail just ten miles down from the cabin. Dog and I geared up (only a leash on his end of the packing) with my Camelbak and goodies in there. Then we headed out. Finding the trail was pretty easy courtesy of a pre-loaded map on with the help of Google. Nobody there and it didn't look too used, but the trail was clear with a rocky base. I was really glad to be in real hiking boots for this trail, but that is what I usually wear, so I was already set to deal with uneven terrain.

The View from the Top (one top at least)

Up we went. And more up. By the time I reached the top (or one of the tops) of my hike I was fairly tired, but I wanted to go further. about a quarter mile down the trail I noticed Link starting to act stiff and sore, which was just no good. That was about where it was a good time for me to turn around as well, as my knees were starting to be vocal and we still had to get back to the car. So back we went. It was quicker back down the other side of the hill, but I hate downhill walking since it is harder on knees than going up. We didn't make it to the mile-and-a-half mark. Not even close. I want to hit that next time when it shout be cooler, though there is no guarantee about that.

An hour after starting we were both back down and headed back to the cabin. In which I had to backtrack THREE TIMES to get to the turnoff for the cabin. Normally I just can reorient myself to have no troubles finding my way back home. Apparently I was tired enough today that I just couldn't do it.

Now it is thundering and sometimes spitting rain, which was nice to sit on the front porch for a while. I am glad that my hikes are all in the morning since I don't want to deal with getting rained on. And boy has the temperature dropped with the rain! Time to turn on the furnace and warm up the room a bit as I indulge in a little bit of Switch Zelda..

No comments:

Post a Comment