Saturday, December 18, 2021

It's Cold. Moreso for Others.


No Room at the Inn

What about those that don't have any way to stay warm, or have a safe place to actually enjoy the season? I work to help some of these men, but it still makes me uncomfortable knowing that I have so much more than they do. But helping is what I work to do. It keeps me appreciative of my state in life.

Unlike most places in the US, things just turned cold here. 17 degrees overnight means that I have to open the living quarters of the house up to the back workshop and such. I don't want frozen pipes, and this is the easiest way to ensure that is less likely. No snow to speak of, of course, but the cold has indeed settled in for the short term.

But for me, that all that makes the rest of the house rather colder than I usually keep it. That means the crocheted glovelettes for my hands, cozy slippers for my toes, a family-made blanket for my lap, and holiday decorations to light up the room. I put up the decorations last weekend and just today dug out the warm gear. I know that I have more than others. But we all do what we can to take advantage of what we are given. 

Having said that, as someone who works at a homeless shelter, Yes, we appreciate all your gifts (especially underwear!) but what we really need are funds to keep the lights on and people fed. But truly, think of those with less. Food for pantries or soup kitchens, clothing for charity (please not places that charge for their goods), and toiletries for shelters. All of this helps.



No comments:

Post a Comment