Wednesday, April 6, 2022

The Blinking Light


It's amazing what a phone message can do. A simple message.

Today was difficult at work, and I'm just now taking lunch to get a break. Things were going wrong, the pace too fast for my brain, and my body interfering and needing to be close to the restroom. It was not a pleasant morning. 

Then I noticed that there was a flashing light on my phone indicating a message for me. I hate messages. They mean more people to interact with who may be hostile for not getting a human.

But this was different. There was a woman who was almost in tears thanking me for my note on her receipt that I sent out before I left on vacation. She had apologized for not giving more when she sent in her donation. I had simply scribbled a short note thanking her donation and that we appreciate her support no matter the size of donation. She sounded...in awe that someone cared? loved as a person?...that I had sent the note. She was in desperate times, with her husband sick and finances tight, and she still took the the time and effort to donate to us, and to think that she was guilty that it wasn't more. Guilt!

So her thanks just made my day. Kindness does come around. I have it saved to my archive for days that I can really use a reminder of why I like my job. And I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment