Friday, January 28, 2022

The Hardest Decision of My Life

On this day, nine years ago, Jason and I made the hardest decision either of us would ever make--to end his cancer treatment and begin hospice care instead of curative care. At the time, we both knew the prognosis going into the doctor's office, though we hadn't officially received the bad news yet that his cancer had progressed irreversibly and quickly. I still remember going into the office, with him smiling and laughing, despite the seriousness of our visit. 

Were there tears? Oh yes. But we knew. And I certainly hope that I will never have to face another decision like that in the rest of my life. 

Every year this day is a hard for me. Days now through mid-April tend to be difficult as well, to various extents, but it seems to be getting easier with passing years with some being better than others. Last year? and 2020? Well, my brain had other things to worry about. Who knows about 2022.

 

One Last Flight 

So what's with the plane? In the last couple years of our journey we were able to get free flights from Angel Flight West from private pilots. This was our very last leg that we ever made .(The plane had a parachute!) We were so very lucky to have found this service. It was not only free, but it was also much safer for Jason than flying commercial airlines with his lowered immune system. I owe so much to these people who helped us over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment