Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Ability to Escape


The Traveling Buddy Hard at Work

I am cleared for a vacation after the whole annual hoopla from work calms down! I am so happy to have a job with paid leave, even for part time workers. And sick time for that matter. (Which I had to use this morning for a migraine. That sucked.) I have chosen a cabin in the middle-of-nowhere New Mexico, in general keeping with my past vacations, snow may or may not be included. Eight days of getting away from people, cooking tasty meals, hiking out the back door, and in general disturbing the elk with Link's whining. Surrounded on three sides by national forest, I can pretty much go wherever I please so long as I keep track of where I am going and how to get back home. Score! One thing that I do to take pity on work is keeping myself somewhere that has internet, if not cell coverage. It also means I have YouTube and Netflix for entertainment when I am not writing. Second benefit of my hermitage: COVID-19 free

On that. I have the second book almost ready for professional editing. This one is a monster slaying romp. I still need to tweak the end since it is rather abrupt, but other than that I am good to go. I think I will publish the first one digitally since it really isn't that good. Live and learn. And, oh, have I learned! This one wasn't written all at once though, so I will have to watch my tone to keep it consistent. Then to get a paid editor to take a look and check my timing as well since it takes place over several years. I have tried to condense it down to keep it moving, but that only has worked to a small extent. I am worried that it is too close to a currently popular tv show/game, but I wrote it before I ever heard of the characters! They are different though, I just don't know if it is going to be enough. Monster slaying with teacher/student in general is a common trope, so I don't foresee it being too much of a problem. Maybe a bonus because it is something that we already knows sells, unlike the last book that was a niche market!


No comments:

Post a Comment