Saturday, March 19, 2022

Keto or Low-Carb. Discuss

Way back in 2012 when Jason was in end-stage cancer treatment we both went on a ketogenic diet--true keto with lots of MCT oil. I went bat-shit insane and had horrible gastric issues with it so I just modified it to be low-carb so I didn't have to make two meals. But now I am back 20 pounds up from where I was two months ago and I am desperate. I have been craving pure sugar and carbs and it is killing me.

Is it possible to have the benefits of a ketogenic diet with a low-carb version instead, or is it just not something that works right?

With my trip next week I can use it as a jumpstart to getting back to healthy eating again. I know that I need to exercise more, but I am wondering if I can alter my diet enough to make myself have better results than just calorie cutting and basic nutrient tracking.

One thing I am doing is switching to a plant-based milk so that I don't binge on cereal anymore. Moomilk (as I have dubbed it) is a major draw for me, whether in cereal or drunk with hot chocolate. By changing to plant milk I can have my tea with milk but not have the tendency to crash my healthy eating. Back when I was trying to figure out if I had milk intolerance/allergy I tried all the milks on the market, which had much less options at the time. Oat, rice, almond, hazelnut, coconut, soy. Done it. Hated it. Fast forward to today and I found what is dubbed a barista creamer style almond milk. Oh dear Lord, yum. It works wonderfully in my tea, has less calories than moomilk, and doesn't have the draw to eat with carbs of various types.Yeah, it's more expensive than moomilk, but I don't care. Now I just need to figure out if I have truly found the holy grail of plant milk, or if there are better ones out there even than this one. (For reference, this was Califa barista almond creamer).

This means that I am going though mugs of tea like...well...water. Which I guess is okay. One thing I even managed with a little caffeine hit was to get in some exercise. It wasn't much but it was good to get moving. Plotting out my hiking for next week may need to be altered with how sedentary I have been lately, so I am going to work myself up and see how it goes. No treadmill out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment